CORALVILLE, IA (September 6, 2016) — Innovative Software Engineering (ISE) has been awarded a contract with the University of Minnesota School of Nursing to develop a mobile app to provide support and information to pregnant women and their families experiencing major complications during pregnancy. The project, called Preparing Heart and Mind, will feature evidence-based content developed through research conducted by Dr. Anne McKechnie, Assistant Professor at the University of Minnesota, and Dr. Karen Pridham, Professor Emerita at the University of Wisconsin- Madison, as well as other relevant sources.
“The app will be designed from the ground up as a valuable tool for expectant parents as they transition to parenthood – and a tool that is conducive for use by health care providers and these patients in a clinical setting,” said Dr. McKechnie.
The app is currently in the early stages of development, with an initial focus on women and their caregiving partners who learn of a fetal diagnosis of complex congenital heart disease (CCHD), a common, major birth defect and chronic condition. Once fully developed, the Preparing Heart and Mind app will be an evidence-based approach to support both mothers and fathers who anticipate a range of unexpected pregnancy outcomes (including birth defects, premature birth, infant demise) as well as tools for parents who are caring for children with challenging health care needs, both before and after hospitalizations.
“We are delighted to have been chosen by the University of Minnesota to create an app that has the potential to have such a positive impact on people’s lives,” said Hass Machlab, ISE President and CEO.
Drawing from theory and recent research findings, the app is being designed as a technological platform for enhancing and documenting a relationship-based journey to parenthood. Plans for the finalized app include dedicated interactive spaces for the parent user to identify needs and access resources to effectively manage frequently changing circumstances. Viewing and sharing options incorporate short vignettes of other parents’ experiences, thoughts and feelings, and a means for setting, tracking, and communicating personal and clinically-relevant goals.
The team is focused on making a positive difference for:
• A woman and her caregiving partner as they manage the distress and increased demands related to an unexpected pregnancy outcome
• The health care provider’s patient- and family-centered practices
• Maternal and fetal/infant health during a developmentally sensitive time.
The Preparing Heart and Mind project is currently funded with a seed grant from MN-REACH, a joint effort between the University of Minnesota and the National Institutes of Health, to fund health care projects with commercial potential.
For more information, contact Scott Berry at scottberry.iseinc.biz or 319.545.3453.
About Innovative Software Engineering
Innovative Software Engineering (ISE) is a leading engineering and systems integration firm that delivers innovative, end-to-end mobile and enterprise solutions. ISE’s business includes three inter- related divisions:
• Professional Services offers clients a complete spectrum of software engineering services including solutions in the areas of Big Data, Mobile App Development, IoT and Cloud, Vehicle Telematics and Engineering Process.
• Innovation Services provides the capability to achieve and sustain short and long-term growth throughout the entire organization. This approach allows ISE to remain focused on enhancing the customer’s experience as they look for technology solutions.
• Fleet Services leverages decades of transportation technology expertise to offer a configurable end-to-end solution to manage drivers’ hours-of-service and vehicle maintenance compliance, which results in operating a safer, more profitable operation.
Latest posts by Innovative Software Engineering (ISE) (see all)
- Trimble Acquires ISE to Provide Fleets with Electronic Driver Logs as a Service - June 13, 2017
- ISE and Palo Alto Networks Pair Up to Plan Introductory AWS Events - March 13, 2017
- ISE Reaches Standard Partner Status in AWS Partner Network - February 2, 2017